Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > 1/2 way through, where are you strong?

You are half way through the LFPB Challenge! Look this week for an email on what prizes are in store, and for info on the next potluck.

What is one thing that has worked for you so far that you can do more of for the next 3 weeks?

January 27, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

Prepping in advance. The amount of veggies I use for all of my meals (specifically onions, tomatoes, and peppers) is absurd. So every Sunday, after I go to the grocery store in the morning, I spend a couple of hours in the kitchen stacking huge tupperware of cut up veggies, and strawberries (I'm a big fan of the 1 cup strawberries, 3 almonds, 1/4 cup cottage cheese 1 block snack) so that all I have to do is scoop with a measuring cup whatever amount I need.

Once I got that down, honestly the last two weeks have been a breeze. It's really about just getting into a routine, blocking out the time to make sure it happens, and sticking to it.

AND, the results I have already seen, are seriously motivating me for the next 3 weeks.

January 29, 2014 | Unregistered Commentershaye

Here are a few things that have gone pretty well for me:
1. Planning when I have time, so as not to be unprepared when I don't have the time. This has meant: making big meals on Sunday that last till Thursday so we don't have to cook, buying enough groceries to pack lunch so I don't have to figure out something when I get hungry at 12 or 1 or whenever, cooking oatmeal in bulk so I can just reheat it in the mornings instead of having to stand at a stove and stir for 20 minutes a few times a week, eating real snacks when I am hungry instead of "junk."
2. Saying "no." No, I don't need to eat a doughnut. No, I don't need any of the cookies you brought to work. No, I am pretty sure the desserts on this menu will still be here in a month, so I don't need them now. No, I am not going to this work dinner at a place that has two options for me.
3. Listening to my body. I was finding myself kind of hungry at 12, but still eating my five block lunch, and then relying on two snacks to get me through the afternoon and my workouts. I flipped that around, and have found myself with more energy in the evening, AND less ravenous after a workout. Crush week had me feeling sore on Sunday morning, so I bailed on Barbara even though I really wanted to do it.

January 29, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMichael C.

AR- I am kind of afraid to say it but my knee feels like it is almost back to normal. I have been couch-stretching, mashing and rolling like a crazy person. @Fox- thanks again for the advice when my knee started hurting. It has worked!

I have only missed the AR point three times so far but had originally intended to do half an hour per day. That has not been happening as often as I like. Actually getting to AR class is definitely something I want to do more often as I learn new things and target different places which I may ignore if I am just doing it by myself.

January 29, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterCharlie

Wow, I am seriously impressed by these responses so far. I can definitely think of more ways that I'm NOT doing well than ways I'm strong, but quiet down, negative nancy.

I have managed to eat a clean breakfast at home and pack my lunch/afternoon snack every single day since school started. It's been amazing for my budget and means that every day, I keep it clean until at least dinner time. Clearing that last hurdle isn't as hard when you've done well all day. KBK has been a saving grace for me, since I don't have the free Sunday (or any day) to prep/cook for the week.

Another thing that's worked for me is keeping the fridge stocked, which is pretty basic. Also, letting myself be a little hungry in the late afternoon. Instead of giving in to that late in the day boredom-library hunger, I eat some nuts, chug some water, and either go to the gym or get over myself. I'm not an advocate of starving yourself, but I'm also trying to teach myself that being hungry for an hour or two isn't going to kill me and is more often than not just an impulse, more than an actual physical need.

And, I'm breaking in my slow cooker to make lamb korma this weekend, in an effort to be more prepared like you rock stars! Cheers on the successes, people!

January 29, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterLily

@Shaye- cottage cheese and almonds and some sort of fruit - also my favorite snack! I feel like we are on a very similar path with this Zone thing. Keep it up lady, you look amazing!

Being organized does not come naturally to me but planning and prepping when I have time has definitely been key.

Lily don't be silly, Lily! You are kicking ass too! Look at the difference between now and the last Paleo challenge we did.
Enjoy the slow cooker! Best purchase of 2013 for me!

Great stuff! Simple is often the way to go.

January 29, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

I can't believe that it's almost over. The first week was super hard for me, but once I figured out what I can eat, it got much easier. So what's worked for me is finding things to cook where you don't have to sub anything, ie. they are already paleo. I've said this in other threads, but my go to has been Thai food, which is incredibly easy to cook!

As for the next few weeks, I want to keep on 4x per week and 1 AR class. I feel so much stronger that I did in December, and the PR's have been proof that it's real.

January 30, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBrandon B

About two weeks left, here's what I have noticed:
1-Generally stronger, I have been PR-ing on everything, that might be because I'm still in my freshman phase, but I have started lifting over 200#s on all squats.
2-I have Identified my cravings and have substituted them with fruits/more water...
3-Instead of stressing about not getting the 7+ hours of sleep when I'm up late, I just turn off my alarm for the morning and do a night session at CFSBK (7am is my usual time)
4-I have started getting something resembling a kipping pull-up, which was my goal, still working on it.
5-I have developed insane skills figuring out what might be a pseudo paleo lunch by analyzing yelp/seamless/menupages of my work area.
6-AR_ing every day pre or post WODs and sometimes at night before sleep, this has helped me keep my back straight, my elbows high, and an overall happier lifting experience.
7-Muscles have been shaping my body rather than fat, so fuck the scale, I call this a win.
8-Muscles are the nature's Spanx, can someone market this?
9-All the coaches have been very supportive and had kind words about my general physical shape.
10-I found a wedding suit that looks awesome on me, and am not gonna alter it until 10 days before my wedding because my body shape is changing from week to week.
11-I used to treat myself with food, now I treat myself with knee wraps, jump ropes, voodoo floss, new foam roller and wrist wraps.

Areas that need more work:
1-Ive been a little dizzy at the morning classes because I dont eat anything before workouts, but do have some BCAA, its not enough, and my low carb dinners are not helping. For example, after dropping the bar from a clean and jerk, I see blackness and stars for about 3 seconds. Has anyone experienced this?
2-Portion control. Next year I will definitely try the Zone.

January 31, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterPigeon

"I used to treat myself with food, now I treat myself with knee wraps, jump ropes, voodoo floss, new foam roller and wrist wraps. "

Nice, Pidgeon! Have you experimented with adding in some starchy carbs at dinner? Could also just be you cleaning more weight. I still experience this from time to time.

January 31, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

Pigeon -- LOVE IT. Especially the "muscles are nature's Spanx." Soon you won't be my lifting partner any more because you're going to blow past me. I'm sad for me but happy for you. (Also, didn't know you were getting married! Congratulations!)

I confess I haven't done as well with this challenge as I have in the past -- I think because I've been using the point system as an excuse to forgive myself on single-item cheats. ("Oh, I don't lose ALL my points for the day so I'll have the sweet potato fries.") On the other hand this might make things more sustainable for me than previous go-rounds, where I slowly slide from perfect compliance into having an off-plan item EVERY day.

But I have been good with planning my lunches. What often happens is that I make a bunch of food for dinner, but my husband (who has the most ridiculous metabolism of anyone I know) will eat ALL THE VEGGIES and I find myself with just some leftover meat. In the past, I would have just not bothered using the leftovers as a work lunch. Now, I either make even MORE vegetables than I used to, or else, knowing that I never have as much left over as I think I will, I'll buy a couple of veggie sides from Bklyn Larder and then take those to work along with the meat. Expensive, but a) not as expensive as buying lunch in SoHo, and b) easy to deal with and healthy. I will also sometimes cook a meal even when I get home so late from work that I just buy dinner because I'm really hungry (unfortunately that's been happening a lot lately), and then use the home-cooked meal for lunches for the next couple of days.

There aren't a huge number of Paleo options (besides salad, which isn't my favorite) near my office, so it's good to have more home-cooked food to take to work.

February 1, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella

@Fox, I think its a combination of both, more weight and not having any starches at night, will definitely start looking into some sweet potato recipes. Thanks. (I dislike simply baked sweet potato)
@Stella, you are an inspiration in the mornings, i would love to have he same body weight to lift ratios you have. On another note, I also work in soho, if you venture past west broadway, there's Essen on Varick, and Digg Inn on hudson I believe.

February 1, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterpigeon

Pigeon, if you don't like plain baked sweet potatoes, try mashing them with some coconut milk, butter, and cayenne pepper -- tastes delicious as a side dish or as a replacement for white potatoes on top of a shepherd's pie.

The BBQ place near me also does stuffed baked sweet potatoes -- they put cheese, sour cream, chives, and either brisket or pulled pork on them. SO DELICIOUS. I've since tried it at home with a sloppy-joe-ish ground beef mixture, chopped scallions, and just enough grated cheddar to make life interesting.

Also thanks for the kind words and the lunch recos -- I always forget about Essen and end up going south of where I work (Varick and Canal) instead of north. But that's a good idea, and I also didn't know there was a Digg Inn in those parts. Thank you!

February 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella