Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > What gets monitored gets managed

Hey all,

Curious on hearing people's experience with tracking their behavior has been so far. I've been using an emoji based system on the notes app on my iPhone since about July of last year. I really like it because it's extremely easy and at a glance I can see the past week of health decisions. I also like that my phone is always on so I can quickly add to it whenever I do something I track. Theres also an accountability factor since my friend and I text each other results at the end of the week.

Last year I set a goal to simply track what I do for 6 months. I thought that would be long enough to instill it as a habit and it worked. Within that, I can set weekly goals and see what my short and long term trends seem to be. For me, about 2 cheat meals per week seems to keep me sane. You guys are using the tracker (I've got to update mine!!!) which might be new to some of you. Curious what your thoughts are and if it's affected your behavior. As mentioned above, I just made the goal to track (which seemed easy enough) and set a long term goal (6m) which was required for me to create a new habit. I highly recommend some sort of easy to use monitoring system post challenge.

Below are the things I personally track. I lump them together by week.

Paleo Meal
Non-Paleo Meal
Sleep 8 +hours
Exercise
Mobility +20 Min
Fish Oil
See or make Art
Read +20 Min
Write for ITA

January 23, 2014 | Registered CommenterDavid Osorio

I've really only used a tracker regularly through the SBK challenges. I've played around a bit with things like MyFitnessPal, but ultimately didn't want to commit the time to laboriously tracking meals that I was cooking for myself. It irks me that it's easier to use that app if you're consuming a lot of packaged foods.

I really like the tracking spreadsheet this year, I think I'll use it going forward after the challenge. It'll keep me more honest "off-challenge" about how well I'm really eating, sleeping, etc.

DO, I really like that you have non-eating/ workout related stuff that you track like seeing or making art and writing for ITA. I'm definitely going to steal that. Last year I was all about getting a handle on health & wellness and I feel like I've got that rolling in the right direction. This year I need to get back to creating* which will also feed into overall health & wellness.

*purposefully vague since I'm trying to figure out what that means, probably something small like a new universe.

January 24, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterginacatto

Yeah- I totally agree with Gina. MFP really would be easier and more relevant if all you ate was packaged food. It is annoying to try and use it with whole foods and entering recipes is painful.

I far prefer the tracker this time. I used last year's format several more times during the year but the problem with that was that if you lost a point for the day you might as well keep going and eat whatever you want all day. This time, it is better that it is set up so you can eat one item outside of your guidelines and still be motivated to eat properly for the rest of the day.

And yes, DO, I love that you track your exposure to art and reading. It's way too easy to slip into not even realizing that one is living in one of the most culturally rich cities in the world. You inspired me to try to see one thing per week a few months back and I did it for six weeks and it was great! Now I am redecorating my room and spending a lot of time cooking, so I guess that counts as creating!

As for my own way of tracking what I do- I have been making goals for each day/week since the start of this month in the old school way- lists in a really pretty journal, which I check off as completed. I am happy to say that I have been fulfilling 90% off these tasks on time, so far.

If it is written, it shall be done.

January 24, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterCharlie