Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > Giving in

The first 2 weeks of the challenge went great! Cooking the majority of meals/snacks, weighing and measuring everything, more AR at home, etc. Then, the temptation of eating candy really hit me and it happened...i gave in... and ate gummy candy :( I'm seeing how just a little bit of sugar can really make me want it even more!! The candy is gone now. I feel like i'm starting over. (I'm also thinking of having coffee tomorrow without a sweetener. I cut down to only part of a packet of stevia but maybe that is part of the problem too.)
I expected the temptation to be an issue at the beginning but i'm finding that it's after the first couple weeks. Anyone else having a similar experience with resisting temptation now instead of at the beginning? Any suggestions?

January 16, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBeccaWolf

Becca, your post could not have been timed better because TWICE this week I have given in and eaten fried potatoes of some kind, which although not against LFPB guidelines, are something I wanted to ban because it's a problem food for me.

I'm treating this as a learning experience. I learned that:
1. Alcohol, although generally not an issue for me (I rarely drink, usually one glass of wine in a sitting, MAYBE two), is a gateway drug to bad food choices. ESPECIALLY if, as has been the case lately, I'm having the drink because I'm stressed out from work and am commiserating with a coworker. So I need to have a better plan in place next time -- either go out, but order seltzer with lime, or go out with a very clear plan in my head of what I'm going to order if I get hungry.

2. If I'm going to cheat, it should at least be AWESOME. The half a serving of Tater Tots I had on Tuesday night was indeed awesome, because they were house-made, they were stuffed with bacon and cheddar and OH MY GOD they were delicious. The sweet potato fries I had last night? Not so much. I waited too long to eat them and they were cold and not nearly as good as they would have been fresh out of the fryer. If I'm going to fall off the wagon, it should at least be for a better cause than that, you know? So my plan for the rest of the challenge is: If I slip, and I take a bite and the food isn't as good as I wanted it to be? I give myself permission to throw the rest away. (This is not easy for me to do, since my mother was born in a WWII-occupied country and there was never enough to eat -- so I've been trained, Pavlov-style, to clear my plate no matter how much shit is on it.)

Basically, don't beat yourself up -- but figure out things like: What made you give in this time where you hadn't before? Are there triggers you can avoid next time? And was it worth it? (I know the next time I want sweet potato fries, I'm going to tell myself that last time I had them, they weren't even any good.)

January 16, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella

@Becca - a few thoughts.

First, you're not starting over you're simply picking up where you left off. There is no prison for "eaters of gummy candy".

Second, you are in fact at the beginning of this thing. It's a LONG HAUL and one can not expect zero hiccups on the road. Proves you're human (even though you squat an inhuman 295lbs!!!).

Third, I'd remove the fake sweeteners, even a "natural" one like Stevia. In my experience sugar begets sugar.

Lastly, there is no wagon. There is only right here, right now. Be good to yourself.

January 16, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

@Becca
Dont beat yourself up, its done. When I have a food craving, and its available in front of me, I dont ask myself, I tell myself "its not worth it!" Its not gonna make me lift more, it will bring me satisfaction for 30 seconds, so not worth it.
For this challenge, I'm treating food as fuel, yeah its been said before but here's the other side of it. If its not fuel, then its probably a social setting, so next time you have a craving for candy, GUMMY PARTY the crap out of it, invite friends... now that might be worth it.
@Stella, you are trouble, you just make me want to eat fries and tater tots and everything you write about.
2 weeks down everyone, only a lifetime to go.

January 16, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterpigeon

Right there with you.
I was really on track the first weeks, and the last couple of days- temptation has gotten the best of me a couple of times. I also just made the mental mistake of treating a small set back as an excuse to give in. Yesterday I went out to breakfast and I had eggs and home-fries, which could have been zoned, but the balance was off and so I had way more potatoes then eggs. So since that was off, of course it made perfect sense to have a gluten free cookie and half a brownie right?? ummm. yeah. so I'm trying to reign it back in today, but I have a friend and her daughter coming into town for the weekend, and I know that's going to be ROUGH.

January 16, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBreebree