Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > Elaborate coping┬ámechanisms

Tell me I'm not the only one who has them.

Such as: I won't even go into my favorite burger place right now (SOB!). I love to order a bunless burger from them normally...but I always, always order it with sweet potato fries, which I have banned myself from consuming for the challenge. I'm so afraid that I won't be able to stop myself from ordering them (and yes, they do have salads I could get instead) that I just won't set foot in there.

Also, I hate peanut butter, and my husband likes it. He doesn't eat Paleo (and yet somehow has the most ridiculous metabolism...grrrr!) so sometimes I will order cheat-y treats that have peanut butter in them because I know I won't touch them.

What are yours? To quote that beer commercial, it's only weird if it doesn't work.

January 12, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella

I am planning on going 1000000% off the rails on Friday for my birthday dinner, so looking forward to that is my coping mechanism! I feel like if this is really tough, then maybe plotting a point deducation or two a week to keep your sanity might be the way to go.

January 13, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMichael C.

I was wondering about this topic too, so thanks for raising.

As I see it, there are 2 opposite ends of the spectrum for this challenge. Either be incredibly strict and devoted to create better results and "prove the possible" to yourself about what you can achieve or adopt a moderate program that is sustainable over time and allows for some flexibility. I know the sweet spot is somewhere in the middle, but I'm curious where that "middle" is for people (how they're measuring it) and what advice they would give.

I've been toying with the idea of allowing myself 4 off-challenge items / week (e.g., Ice Cream Bar, piece of cornbread, bowl of cereal). These could either be combined in 1 meal (e.g., BBQ night with Corn Bread and a beer for 2 off-challenge items) or eaten separately.

Does this sound like the right way to think about this, or am I missing something?

January 13, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterPaul A

Paul -- I've always gone for the strict approach, and then afterward I try something like what you suggest as a sustainable plan (1 cheat item every other day). This has worked for varying amounts of time, but over the last couple of months before the challenge it was starting to be more like two cheat items every other day, or "oh, yesterday's cheat wasn't very big so I'll have another today," and all that.

Unfortunately I sometimes sabotage myself with less-than-elaborate coping mechanisms (and I'm starting to recognize that I'm doing it again, damn it!). My first challenge, it was Larabars. This time, it's nut butter -- a little, a VERY little, is okay, a lot is not a good strategy. KMo's suggestion of cold cut-wrapped pickles FTW, I hope!

January 14, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella

I had to take my first point deductions last week. I've done Paleo challenges before and everytime around week two everything tasts like suicide for me. It took me until 8:30 last night to even consider eating dinner. I thought I was going to like eating Kettle Bell Kitchen everyday for lunch so I didn't have to worry about making another meal-I was wrong. I can't even stomach the smell of them now. Needless to say I'm in a rut and the only thing getting me through the week is knowing I'll be taking a point reduction for Sunday's football game. Ugh. I think I need to just eat a bunch of raw veggies tonight and a very small protein.

January 14, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterHayley G

@Hayley - why do you think you need to just eat a bunch of raw veggies tonight and a very small protein? What foods would you like to include that would make you happier?

IMO this challenge is about trying out some habits and seeing what you can do for the long haul. If being 100% strict makes you nutso, then you're working against a healthy relationship with food not for it. That being said, the trend is generally that people adopt a few new healthy habits at a time. So that might mean that the first time you try a Paleo Challenge the big thing is that you stop putting 3 sugars in each of your 3 daily cups of coffee. Better is better, and that's the goal.

January 14, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

Dang, my last post was eaten by the web. So in a nutshell....
@Fox I think I discovered the problem, I hate eating steamed or microwaved veggies. The texture sends me over the edge as does the smell. When we cook dinner we either roast them or eat them raw which is doable. I'm now going to bring in fresh veggies and forgo the KBK. I just had a salad for lunch with chicken and it was delicious! Cold lunches from here on out.

My main focus for this challenge was to drink less, eat more veggies, and add in additional workouts. In a previous challenge I did a few years back I eliminated most of my bad sugar habits and that has stayed with me. So far I'm doing great with less drinking and more veggie intake, but I'm still having trouble finding the time for 5x week workouts. That's mainly because January is also busy for me.

January 15, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterHayley G

Hayley,

Why not roast a crap ton more veggies when you roast them for dinner and bring them with you if you're already bringing veggies. I feel like roasted brussels hold up pretty well.

January 15, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJoel W.

Good Idea Joel. I love Brussel Sprouts and I get them pretty crispy. Now I've just got to work my way through the last of my KBK meals and I think I'll be set.

January 16, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterHayley G

Hayley,

The Aussie place in Chelsea Market has ridiculous brussel sprouts for about 5 bucks. Totally worth it as a side.

January 18, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterNoah