Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > More Sleep, Please!?

So...I've stopped boozing for the challenge, been eating clean and getting 7+ (typically 8+) hours of sleep every night. And I'm still...so....tired! I've had the hardest time waking up in the mornings, snoozing some mornings for up to an hour (I'm usually never a "snoozer"!) and not sure what's up. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there a good reason for it? Is my body telling me that it actually requires more than 7-8 hours?

January 9, 2014 | Registered Commentersteph paddock

I've not experienced or heard this before... Good luck, Steph!

On a similar note, how often do people snooze. I often have ambitions of waking up earlier than I NEED to on days I dont teach early and end up hitting the snooze like 5 times, wasting about 1-2 hours of otherwise productive sleep. I have no idea why I always do this, it's always a good idea before I fall asleep but in practice NEVER works out.

January 9, 2014 | Registered CommenterDavid Osorio

I have a one snooze rule on work days. On days off, if I really feel like I need to hit the snooze button I just turn off the alarm and get up when I get up. I make a point for this to bhe the exception, not the rule as it once was for me.

Steph - Maybe it's been the single digit weather? Get up and pop some caffeine and vitamin D as soon as the alarm goes off!

January 9, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

I have been experiencing the complete opposite. Im typically a pretty solid sleeper, but have been waking up a lot "this year". Is this happening to anyone else? Maybe the weather is throwing me off like Fox suggested.

January 10, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterSara E

Question about sleep: waking up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night during your 7+ hours of sleep counts as 7+ hours of sleep, right?

January 10, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBrandon B

Sara -- YES! I have not been able to get my sleep point at all this week, not even last night, and it's driving me crazy. I keep going to bed at the right time and getting out of bed at the right time, but then I wake up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. Sometimes two or three times. I bet the cold (and my brief trip to California at the beginning of the week) have something to do with it.

Steph -- are you eating enough? Maybe if you've cut out a significant source of calories, your body is slowing down as a way of expending less energy to compensate. (I know I've read this somewhere and am not totally pulling this out of my ass, but I'm SO not a doctor or an authority on the subject in any way, so please take this with a very large grain of sea salt.)

January 11, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella

Steph I am wondering if this is just because we are so early in the challenge. I remember last year feeling very tired in the first two weeks and then it was as if a switch was flipped and I started to sleep deeper and get up easier. Try leaving a a treat for yourself in the fridge. A cold glass of water or a square of dark chocolate or something.

My rule has always been no snoozing. Even back in high school and college I always set my alarm at the last possible minute so I don't leave myself that option at all. Now that I have kids I rarely set an alarm anymore. I know those snot nosed brats are going to be in my room before I want them to be anyway regardless of what I have going on.

January 12, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMatty Chm

Steph, part of me thinks that it's just an acclimation period, but the worrier in me thinks that if the issue persists for more than a couple weeks you may want to consult your physician. After that point, it sounds like you might not be getting RESTFUL sleep, meaning you're not completing all the necessary NREM/REM cycles, which could point to some larger issue - maybe breathing related (apnea), or restless leg, or some kind of thyroid condition. At least, this is what the medical literature at work suggests.

I try to limit snoozing just to once a day. If i'm feeling very rough, then two times, but never more than that.

January 13, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMichael C.

@Steph - DITTO. Since the challenge started, I have been going to bed earlier than usual (notwithstanding tonight because I just got home from night court) and getting more sleep than I'm used to (7-8 hrs), while maintaining my normal caffeine intake (1-2x/day), and I'm EXHAUSTED. Gummie bear/cheese withdrawal? Sleepy time tea immunity? Mono? Something serious? I keep meaning to get a Vitamin D supplement, but that's my only idea. Has this gotten better for you?

January 20, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterWhitney B