Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > Week 1 - Where are you winning?

Tell us all about what went well this week. Instead of worrying about what didn't go as well as you would have liked, you (we) can focus on the positive and do more of that. What actions did you take that worked out well?

---

I ate at least 2 meals plus a snack from home cooked food each day last week. I will do more of that next week as well. Also trained 5 days, will do that again next week.

January 8, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

not drinking alcohol is going really well for me. i get an urge every now and then for a glass of wine, but have been able to resist. instead i drink more water. i'm feeling less anxious lately too due to less consumption of coffee, sleeping more, and working out more. i'll keep it up. so far; so good!

January 8, 2014 | Unregistered Commenternoble1nolan

I'm pretty happy with myself for eating clean on a business trip, including having to buy a couple of lunches at airports.

January 8, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella

I'm really happy with the first week of the challenge! All meals and snacks were home cooked by me, except for 2 meals (dining out) that were still within the challenge. It's easy for me to pass up sweets but i do love gummies (worms, bears, sours, etc)! I expected these to be difficult to resist within the first few days of the challenge but really wasn't a challenge until yesterday and today. I resisted the temptation to buy some and didn't take co-workers up on the offer (they were a little shocked, knowing how i love gummies). Got in some training and at-home AR too!!

January 8, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBeccaWolf

I tend to portion things out for myself as if I will never see food again, and I am happy to say that I am sticking with the zone blocks, feeling satisfied, and handling not going back for seconds quite well. Birthdays at work are usually a sea of junk carbs, and I successfully avoided the donuts left on my desk this morning (Krispy Kreme, meh). AND my team got me olives and a giant thing of trail mix instead of cupcakes or whatever, so that was a score! Best coworkers!

January 8, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMichael C.

I'm pleasantly surprised that avoiding dairy hasnt been a big deal. I miss my afternoon yogurt but not terribly. I also have found being more conscious of my fruit intake has not been as difficult as I thought it would be. I've even found that I savour that second fruit serving!

January 8, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMare

I have friends from out of town, and the 2 times we ate out, I was surprised I was able to keep everything in check and just order meats and greens. Ive also had some major events happen in my life that required celebrating, which made it quite difficult not to have alcohol, I settled for sparkling water and hugs, maybe this becomes a thing now. My weight has gone down to below what it was before all the holiday foods and drinks. I have been cooking a lot more at home, and I have been loving it. I cook my people's food, and that stops my cravings for any other types of food. Giving up dairy is a bitch, I wasnt aware that I depended on it so much. My biggest surprise is curbing my sugary treats intake, I dont miss it that much, and the few times the office had Bday cake, I went an got myself an apple or a grapefruit. I missed a couple of nights of 7+ hours of sleep and that made me angry at my house guests, but thus is life and I shook it off. I would like to consider coming to the 6am classes but I have no idea how they clock in 7+ hours of sleep. Any advice?
What's been helping me out a lot is chatting my progress and my problems with my friend Cheryl who is doing the challenge by proxy in Palo Alto, its like a sponsor kinda thing, where I call her out on her shit and she does the same to me (+ encouragement)
One last thing, Ive been doing A/R according to awesome things Ive been looking up in Supple Leopard, but one of the days I decided I was gonna try meditation, sat silently and still and emptied my mind as best as I knew how for what I thought were 15 minutes...turned out to be 3+ minutes, I dont know how to do this.

January 9, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterpigeon

Last year I was suffering from a major case of the Paleo flu. I dropped too much weight too quickly by cutting too much from my diet.

I've been much more careful about what and how much I cut, focusing instead on quality of the food and my portion size, and I'm feeling excellent about making these change last for the next 5 weeks.

January 9, 2014 | Registered CommenterRyan

Last year one of my downfalls was not being creative enough with meals. Things became routine and boring. Mike and I have been switching things up a lot recently. We've been shopping based on what's on sale vs what's our favorite and have enjoyed a wider array of dishes so far this challenge. The biggest win factor has been preparing meals ahead of time. I'm lucky enough to be able to walk home for lunch most days and it has been great having an assortment of foods to choose from to make lunch and pack an afternoon snack to bring back with me.

I made it through my company's holiday party, by having a snack beforehand which kept me away from the buffet table and bar. Cutting alcohol has made the challenge interesting for me. Now, after a tough day, I choose to meditate or read to relax instead of grabbing a glass of wine.

January 9, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJanelle

i'm pretty happy with how week one went. i knew what to expect from previous challenges, but i'm really excited that i wasn't craving or missing alcohol. that's usually one of the hardest things for me, and this past week it didn't even feel like i was missing it.

i'm also really happy that i've been cooking most of my meals. it's always a goal of mine (cook 75% of my meals blah, blah, blah...) but i never end up accomplishing it. this time around, i prepared myself with a big Fairway trip, have prepared most meals (or eaten the Bussman-Wise's home-cooked meals) and have supplemented with Kettlebell Kitchen which i'm really enjoying. i hope to keep up the cooking habits throughout the challenge and post-challenge too.

January 9, 2014 | Registered Commentersteph paddock

So far, so good, for me! I've made everything at home and weighed or measured every single thing I have eaten. I am already developing an 'internal scale'. I am still making 80% Paleo choices- I have added cottage cheese, chickpeas and oatmeal to the mix. I am eating way, way more veggies than before. My packed lunches have been fun too and I am getting faster at prepping them. As a bartender, I love having an excuse (to myself) not to drink.

January 9, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterCharlie

I'm proud of having a really consistent and well planned first week. I know that won't always be as easy as it was this week, but I feel like I set a good foundation by grocery shopping, making a lot of things in bulk and planning workouts based on my schedule (and then not compromising the time I had set on the calendar to workout with other things).

I'm also proud of being really good and smart at "cheating" (I say this as I eat oatmeal at Starbucks with fruit and nuts because it was the only option for me today). I've been able to have small treats, including alcohol, in a way that doesn't totally distort the zone blocks that I've set for the day.

January 9, 2014 | Unregistered Commentermckensey

I've really switched the balance of my meals from having them centered around carbs to protein. It is a dramatic shift for me to think about having protein EVERY time I eat something. I'm also surprised at how much food is involved in the zone. I'm supposed to eat 11 blocks a day, and I really can't make it past 9- and I'm in no way undereating. Along with a ridiculous amount of eggs, I've been having tofu, found these "chickenless" strips at WF which aren't bad, and started wading around in the waters of dairy with string cheese because sometimes I just can't have another egg. It only took about 4 days to kind of getting the hang of it and now I have a sense of what to grab/ make to stay in balance.

Like someone else said, I dropped the holiday gain. I kind of jacked up my neck/back/shoulder- so I haven't been coming in as much as I had hoped, but I hope to pick that back up steadily next week.

January 9, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBreebree

Getting in all 130 oz's of water has been surprisingly easy, especially with cutting out all other beverages that usually accompany my meals (coffee/wine). Also very pumped about preparing a bunch of paleo food for the fridge. We have soups, sauces, purees, roasted veg - and a bunch of ingredients. Also hit the ethnic cooking hard - a few Thai dishes, an Austrian dish, and some simple Mexican stuff has been great. Hope I can sustain till the end!

January 9, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBrandon B

I feel great! Doing more active recovery is really making a difference in how I feel.

I'm not hungry and I'm sleeping well. So far, so good.

January 9, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterAkoto

Slow start with a trip to Colorado, but like Stella, I consider finding a paleo meal at La Guardia airport at 6 a.m. to be a win! (Fruit, nuts, and hard boiled eggs)

Back to pre-holiday weight, which is nice. I'm not having too much trouble sticking to level 1. It's actually kind of a relief, after all the holiday parties/meals/drinks/etc.

I've found that staying hydrated is really easy. I drink so much water already! Once I started measuring it, I realized I'm drinking more than enough without trying. I think someone mentioned the soda stream-- it's an easy way to keep track of what you drink, since you carbonate a liter at a time.

I feel great, and I've been using the A/R time to focus on my knee, which I owed some love and lax ball time. I think the biggest challenge will be in finding as much success as the weeks go on and cravings kick back in. But for now, success!

(Oh, also, sleeping like a rock, which is such a relief after a very stressful few months.)

January 9, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterLily

I'm loving this thread. Some great wins, both big and small...keep it coming!

January 9, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

Im really happy that i have stuck to my goal of having no sugar, booze or anything non paleo. I did have a few head aches in the beginning of the week but that was expected. Im already feeling like I'm preforming better which is probably in my head but I'm going with it. The next 5 weeks should prove interesting...

January 9, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterErik