Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > AR strategies

Through the first five days of this challenge I've been much better about making time for A/R. All my extra A/Ring, though, has left me wondering if anyone has any strategies for how to optimize A/R, particularly if you've only got 15 minutes to squeeze it in.

I have a couple areas I know I can always do work on, but is it best to spend time on areas that were worked in that day's WOD? areas that will be used the next day? Or does it make sense to try and hit a lot of spots in that time?

January 6, 2014 | Registered CommenterRyan

Great thread. IMO think quality over quantity for AR. Hit an area or two with some intention instead of glazing over a bunch of stuff lightly. I'd listen to your body and work whatever is speaking to you. That being said, sometimes it takes some general exploring to really see where your junk is.

January 6, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

@Fox: #outofcontextquotes

There are certain areas that I always, always need work on, especially my hips and thoracic spine. So I pretty much always do those, and if I have extra time after that I'll do something post-WOD-specific (like calf mashing after box jumps). And then I live for Saturday morning, when I can spend an entire hour getting pummeled in ways that generally relate to whatever WODs we hit that week.

I think a lot depends on how old you are and how much you've trashed your body in the past -- I know a lot of the stiffness and inflexibility I carry around comes from several years of marathon running. (Once upon a time, I could not only touch my toes, I could reach seven inches past them. Those days are long gone.) I suspect that younger people can do more WOD-focused AR movements, whereas we old people have more problem areas to focus on regardless of what movements we've performed in WODs.

January 7, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella