Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > Zone- Unlisted Items

Hi Zoners.
I thought it would be nice to have a place we could share the block value of any unlisted or branded items we come across.

January 4, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterCharlie

-Fage 2% Plain Greek Yogurt has 3 blocks of protein and 1 block of fat and 1 block of carbs.
-Full fat version has 3 blocks of protein and 2 blocks of fat and 1 block of carbs.

For both of these I would probably just add a little more fat to make up for the assumption that there is already some fat contained in a protein block.

Fox- is this the right thing to do? Also, I'm afraid I might be ''micromanaging nutrients' as mentioned in the CrossFit Impulse article.

-1 serving of GT's Kombucha is 1 block of carbs.
-1/5 cup of sliced plantains is equal to 1 block of carbs.

Sounds about right, Charlie! The math is easy if you come across a packaged food that is predominantly protein or fat. One block of: FAT = 1.5 grams, PRO = 7 grams, and CHO = 9 grams. In the case of the yogurt having more protein, you'd need to add both fat and carb to balance out the meal. It's worth saying though that this makes sense with foods that are basically in their natural state and don't have more than a few ingredients. For packaged foods that are basically carbohydrate, simply count the carb blocks and add in protein and fat to balance out a meal. Better yet, manufactured and packaged food altogether.

January 4, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

1/3 cup of cooked quinoa is a carb block

January 4, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBreebree

What I meant by that was that I would balance the blocks first and then add a little more fat to make up for the fat that is already accounted in the protein block. Does that make sense?

*for
Also I thought it was 9g of carbs?

How much are jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes worth blockwise?

January 5, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterEvan

@Charlie - yep, 9 grams. My typo. Still not exactly sure what you mean though. Yogurt is unique in that it is a mixed block food. Simply account for the blocks in the one you're buying and then add to the meal to make it complete, which is what I think you were saying in the first place :)

@Evan - Google is your friend ;) Try a search for the food in question and then do the math. I believe jersusalem artichoke would count like any other starchy veg, like potatoes.

January 5, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox