Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > Meditation

For the days where AR is not in the cards, I'd like to have meditation as an option. Are there any trusted resources out there for beginners?

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterSteve R

oh i can talk about meditation for days. it's my favorite topic after nutrition. i like mindfulness in plain english (http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Plain-English-Anniversary-Edition/dp/0861719069) for beginners. there are also a bazillion guided meditations online for free, if you find you have trouble sitting by yourself at first, or if you want to mix things up. here is a sight i have found useful: http://www.audiodharma.org/series/1/talk/1835/

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterariel c

SITE!!! oh god. how embarrassing.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered Commenterariel c

Cool links, A.

Steve,
When in doubt, just do it. The nice thing about a meditation practice is that you can just try to be still and attempt not to focus on anything in particular for 5 minutes or so. It's hard to do it wrong, and regardless of the process you use, it will be tough in the beginning to not fixate on particular thought streams.

Good luck

January 2, 2014 | Registered CommenterDavid Osorio

I recently discovered the iPhone app Buddhify. It has guided meditations and I am really liking it. I just wanted to throw it out there for anyone who wants to pick up a meditation practice or is struggling to get one started. I've been including meditation in my challenge and find that I have a heightened awareness even after 10 minutes. I do a mix of self-guided meditation and following some on the app.

January 14, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJanelle

Would folks be interested in a meditation workshop(s) hosted at the gym?

January 14, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMare (aka Marian)

Yes!

January 14, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterLily

Mare - yes from me

January 15, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

Count me as a yes too.

January 15, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJanelle

yes please!

January 15, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBeccaWolf

+1 vote from me :)

Thanks, Mare!

January 15, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterKMo

+1 for me too!

January 15, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterHayley G

Mare, yes!

January 20, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMurat

Im trying to get something organized and squeeze one in before the Challenge is over! Pencil in the evening of Feb 3 at the gym - will let you all know ASAP!

January 21, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMare

Steve and all,

The Shambhala Meditation Center in Manhattan has drop-in Learn to Meditate classes every week. Wed 6-7pm and Sun 12-1pm. $10 suggested donation.

I went to one of the classes a few years ago and remember it being a good resource.

http://ny.shambhala.org/learn-to-meditate/

On top of that, I echo what David said. Find some sort of seated posture (in a chair, on blankets on the floor, kneeling with something supporting your but) that is relatively comfortable, set a timer for 5-10 minutes, and just sit. That's where it starts. There's no wrong way. You'll uncover all sorts of things by sitting still on your own.

January 28, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterWhit H

Funny- there is a place on St. Mark's and Grand, (Brooklyn) also called Shambhala, which offers a 15 min guided meditation class followed by Basics Yoga. I did it a few times last year and it was great. It is on Tuesdays at 5pm and the lady who does it I just lovely.

http://shambhalayogadance.com/schedule/#Wed

January 29, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterCharlie

Hi all, I've been in communication with the Vajradhara Meditation Center and they can come to the SBK upstairs space to conduct a workshop and guided meditation on either Sunday March 16 or 23 at 2p. Let me know on this forum thread if either of those dates works better for you!

February 3, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMare

Right now it looks like either one works for me. Thanks, Mare!

February 6, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterKMo

The 16th works better for me. I am definitely interested!

February 7, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMattyChm

Either dates are good for me. Looking forward to it.

February 12, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterAlan C

Meditation workshop will happen upstairs at SBK on Sunday, March 23 at 2p. Will message out to the larger community in a few days but wanted to make sure I told you all before this forum comes down! Email me with any questions: mare@crossfitsouthbrooklyn.com

February 21, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMare