Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > Sweet, Sweet, Home Sweet.

How do you deal with sweet cravings, if any? Any Paleo friendly, ready-made, sweets and desserts you use and recommend? Mind you -not necessarily recipes, as I am looking for just purchasing them, rather than baking/cooking/preparing them. But also, recipes are welcome.

I assume all non-refined-sugar replacements are also banned in the challenge, so no Stevia, Truvia, Agave extract etc in addition to aspartame etc, right? So what do you do?

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMurat

So far, the only good and satisfactory replacementI could find is to get frozen blueberry or strawberry (organic, Cascadian Farm), thaw them a bit by leaving them in the room temperature and eat them while semi-frozen, so it is like ice-creamish? I love the texture like that, and the color, and the taste...

Hey Murat - "Paleo" desserts and sweets are very popular, and a very good way to bring progress to a halt. Sugar is sugar, so your on the right track with the berries. Sugar cravings, while sometimes intense, will go away of you let them. If you substitute paleo desserts for plain old sugar you'll have a rough go of it.

January 2, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

@Fox, I agree with you. It's so easy for one paleo cookie to become 10. That's been my downfall in the past.

@Murat, today I was craving a snack when I got home from work. I sliced up a small apple and had that with some almond butter. It was savory and sweet and I didn't feel bad after eating it. I try to save almond butter or fruit for when I need a treat.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJanelle

So Chris, are you saying just get it from fruits and berries and let the rest of cravings die in time by not replacing them with any other substitute?

Janelle, Thanks!

Almond butter is great idea (and a lot of calories too, I think:) but it will satisfy my texture craving when combined with sweet fruits, I am sure. Thanks a lot.

@Murat, yes it is high in calories, but I limit to about a Tbs every once in a while. Just read the labels a bunch of the brands also contain added sugar.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJanelle

Hi Murat! I am a big fan of sliced banana with raw, unsweetened cocoa powder- if the banana is totally covered in the powder, it's almost like you are eating a truffle. Sometimes I'll go crazy and add some cinnamon. I also find that Kombucha helps with sugar cravings too and it's really good for you. Again, make sure you read the labels because sometimes they will sneak weird stuff in. GT's is my favorite and they don't add any weird stuff.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterCharlie

I love this stuff: http://www.barneybutter.com/products/category/vanilla-bean-espresso/

The vanilla and espresso give the almond butter a nice flavor, and it only has 1 gram of sugar per serving. Since I'm using it at snack time and only eating a teaspoon (since my snacks are two blocks), the amount of sugar i actually consume with this stuff is pretty low.

Other than that, fruit.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMichael C.

I third the paleo cookies being a disaster, having recently been attacked by half a dozen when I reached for just one. I'm a chocoholic, so I will give Charlie's suggestion a try. Like Janelle, I have a little almond butter to deal with cravings, and I mix cacao powder into it. For a chocolate emergency, I plan to make a sweet from childhood--kogel mogel. The traditional recipe is a mix of raw egg yolk with sugar and cacao. I skip the sugar and add a few raspberries (to sweeten it), a bit of cacao powder and a drop of vanilla. The CSA eggs made the best kogel mogel--I wouldn't eat regular supermarket egg yolks raw, but if you get some from a good farm, it might be a consideration.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBarbara

I almost never crave just straight-up sweets -- I like my sugar laced with fat, a la cake and chocolate. So when I get a sweet craving, first I ask myself, am I hungry or am I just craving? My usual yardstick is that if I'm hungry enough that I'd consider eating a can of tuna plain, then I'm hungry enough to snack, and if not, I should just wait and see whether the craving goes away.

If the answer is "yes, I would eat a can of tuna plain," then I try to figure out whether it's fat or sugar that I want more. If fat, I'll have a spoonful of almond butter or a couple of pieces of salami if that's handy. If sugar, I go for grapes or a banana.

I still wish I could go for chocolate though! I tried Charlie's cacao powder banana trick once and it didn't fool my chocolate demon one bit :P

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella

Great suggestions and ideas, thanks folks!

All this cocoa powder thing gave me an idea: I love chocolate but I like it with %80-85 cocoa content with relatively very low sugar level (which is good for you in seriously moderate amounts). Charlie: cinnamon is great and healthy too, as it regulates the blood sugar. I love cinnamon.

I am now dreaming of grating a few pieces of very dark chocolate on sliced banana, may be also sprinkled with a little finely shredded coconut. Hmmm...