Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > Lean meat?

The challenge guidelines advise us to eat lean protein and healthy fats. But the healthy fats link lists chicken fat, duck fat, lard (pig fat) and tallow (beef fat). I've been paleo for a while and this has always confused me. Should I be removing the skin from chicken or eating it? Ditto for duck breasts, pork shoulder, steak, etc.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterPeter

@Peter - Great point. The majority of any toxins an animal contains are going to be in the fat of said animal. If you're eating quality animals then go ahead and have the fatty portions. For Zone purposes specifically, the proteins are lean for that reason but also for the sake of calculating blocks. 4 oz of chicken breast would have about 200 calories with the majority coming from protein. The same amount of chicken thigh would have almost twice the calories with the bulk of the difference coming from fat. Eating lean proteins makes it easy to be more accurate with block counts.

January 2, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox

This is another reason I am doing Level 1! F*ck that noise, I'm Asian so I was raised to love the fattest parts of the animal ;)

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella

A lot of what I have left over from this past month's CSA is fattier meat like lamb ribs, chops etc. This also happens to be my favorite animal to eat. Should I just save it until the challenge is over or can I just not add any fat blocks to that particular meal? Obviously that would not make up for the amount of fat in the meat so should I cut more fat out from other meals that day or save more blocks or that meal or am I overthinking it?

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterCharlie

@Charlie - counting them as protein and fat sounds reasonable.

January 2, 2014 | Registered CommenterChristian Fox