Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > Post-Workout Shakes

Any thoughts on Progenex or other post-workout products? I used to drink chocolate milk after lifting but am trying to cut out dairy for the challenge?

Do you think post-workout shake is necessary/beneficial? Thanks

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJay

I second Jay's question, and add, are the shakes snacks or they count as an actual breakfast?

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterPigeon

Post workout shakes have a place, especially when the goal is to gain weight or there can be no meal soon after training. Ideally, you'd simply have some real food including protein, carbs, and some fat within 30 minutes or so post-training. If this isn't possible, or if you're trying to gain mass, then certainly throw back a post training shake.

As an alternative, if the goal is to lose bodyfat or if you want to experiment with being dairy-free (most protein powders are dairy based) then try some branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) around your training. I'll often sip 5 grams while training and 5 after. Also not 100% paleo but they are calorie free and help very well with recovery. The brand I use is Scivaiton. The orange reminds me of being a kid and sucking down Tang and Sunkist...which is to say I love it.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterFox