Instagram Feed

Search

Look, Feel and Perform Better Challenge > The Breakfast Club Thread

What did you have for breakfast today??

December 20, 2013 | Registered CommenterDavid Osorio

I'm very interested in this thread; I feel like I can wrap my head around meals that I would eat for lunch / dinner that are Zone / Paleo balanced, but what I really struggle with is breakfast. I begin work at 6:45 AM and thus really hate getting up even earlier than usual to cook a breakfast of eggs / veggies. Anyone have any good "on-the-go" but still nutritious breakfast regimens?

December 27, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterPaul A

Fox and I usually have a 5am wakeup call with a 6am coaching start so we're definitely not making any breakfasts that early. We typically pack our 'breakfast' the night before of leftover dinner. We also almost always have hardboiled eggs and cooked bacon on hand to put together a quick meal/snack if we don't have leftover dinners. We'll pair this with leftover veggies and nuts for a plain and simple meal.

I also used to love to make little egg cups to have throughout the week for breakfast. I'd saute spinach and red peppers then add them to a dozen cracked eggs along with some cooked bacon. Pour the mix into muffin tins about 3/4 full and then bake. These are great on-the-go breakfasts and you can change the filling based on whatever veggies you like best.

December 27, 2013 | Unregistered Commenterlady fox

We've been making batches of egg cups on Sunday to eat through the week, and those are great for a quick breakfast. Sometimes we'll make a big frittata with different kinds of meats and veggies (a favorite of mine was to beat twelve eggs, then add in uncooked bacon and arugala, and bake that for about 20-25 minutes or until the top gets firm). I used to just eat yogurt with almonds/walnuts and ground flax (and black coffee) every day, but after doing that for the better part of three years, I am kind of Fage-d out. I may have to go back to yogurt at some point during this challenge, though, because I get kind of sick off eggs after a while.

Is oatmeal a legit option for the Zone challenge? I saw that as one of the sample meals in the packet, but I thought the idea was to steer clear of ALL grains? Or are rolled oats hearty enough ?

December 30, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterMichael C.

I'm embarrassed to say that I've been SOOOOO happy about having access to the Whole Foods breakfast bar every morning now. Makes the whole damn place worth it for me. You can get your own protien and veggies to your own specs. Much fresher and tastier than any of the places in Park Slope that deliver. Park slope has terrible breakfast options.

It should be noted, that I don't really cook :(

December 30, 2013 | Registered CommenterDavid Osorio

@Michael - Oats, especially steel cut, are definitely Zone friendly. Great idea on the frittata. Easy way to have protein and veggies prepped for a few days.

December 30, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterFox

More than a year ago I used to eat oatmeal every morning as breakfast. I used to add fruit or berries, a little nuts, mostly almonds or hazelnuts, and a drizzle of maple syrup. I benefitted from that a lot, but somehow I lost the habit.

As I live very close by, I now have been going to Root Hill Cafe every morning to get egg and cheese with fresh tomato on a toast, large coffee, or sometimes instead of eggs just that delicious cayenne biscuit and chocolate croissant! I am guilty yes. Although I love Root Hill owners and staff, I will change the habit back to more healthy one with the help of LFPB, I hope.

-by the way: the link to Cortisol article at the "Additional Resources" page is broken, that page is removed.

December 31, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterMurat

Murat,

I've found Maria and Michele at Root hill to be VERY accommodating in making me paleo-fied options of things on their menu. Don't hesitate to ask!

December 31, 2013 | Registered CommenterDavid Osorio

Question... I'm a firm believer in the power of yogurt (Fage 2% to be exact), and eat this just about every morning to get healthy bacteria into my system. Is there any flexibility with yogurt as a source of protein?

December 31, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterJuliana

Juliana - Greek yogurt can be a great source of protein for those who tolerate dairy well. Do you feel like you have to include it over the course of the challenge, or could you experiment with going without it?

December 31, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterFox

I have a very limited time for prepping breakfast, so what I do is boiled 2 dozen eggs for the week and have fistful of chopped spinach. I literally walk out my front door while still chewing on spinach, this is not a pleasant thing to look at on the subway.
I am going to try to bake a fritttata for the work week and see if it lasts 5 days.
Do I need to include an animal protein to this routine like ground beef in the frittata or is this enough?

December 31, 2013 | Unregistered CommenterPigeon

Juliana -- yogurt used to be my go-to breakfast as well, usually with some chopped nuts or fresh fruit on top. Then I discovered the fancy YUMMY stuff they sell at Brooklyn Larder, and started eating way too much of it, which I'm pretty sure contributed to some weight gain, so I quit cold turkey. (Sniff, sniff.) I think it's not a bad idea to try going without to see how you feel -- I know I really didn't understand how much of a "food without brakes" it can be for me until I quit.

I like Aidells chicken sausage for breakfast. And I also got a copy of "Paleo Breakfasts and Lunches On the Go" (I think that's what it's called anyway) for Christmas, so I am looking forward to trying out some more creative options for portable food.

January 1, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella

These! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins

January 1, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterCharlie

Breakfast today was onion & tomatoes scrambled into 2 eggs & 2 pieces of turkey bacon (which I bought by mistake). Used coconut oli for the first time and it worked ok. Also ate a clementine and had a cup of coffee black. I'm usually a sugar and cream coffee drinker so black coffee tasted like crap, and I might scrap it altogether for the 6 weeks.

January 1, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterBrandon

Breakfast for me today was two egg/bacon/kale egg cups, an apple, an orange, and 15 almonds (and some Grady's Cold Brew). The carbs at breakfast thing is going to be a big pain in the ass for me, so I think I may go out and buy some protein powder and oatmeal to make this a little more painless.

January 1, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMichael C.

Slightly off topic but sort of urgent: what is the discount code for Kettlebell Kitchen orders? Tonight is the deadline for monday delivery!

January 1, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMurat

Murat, just seeing your Q now

LFP2014

12 minutes left!

January 1, 2014 | Registered CommenterDavid Osorio

Fish for breakfast and you can't go wrong. The frozen fish at Whole Foods and Trader Joes come in good breakfast size pieces. Just defrost in a bowl of water while you shower and cook in a small pan, add a side salad and it takes about 10 mins to make. 2nd option is Salt Cod. This has to be made in advance and is very satisfying with some Avocado on the side.

http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/buljol-recipe/

Me and Janelle like to soak the fish for a day in the fridge swapping the water out as opposed to the stove top method in the recipe. You can make a couple pounds at once and be good to go for multiple breakfasts.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMike B

how long are those egg cups good for? so if you make them on a Sunday, how long before you think you should not eat them? I love the idea! how long do you bake at what temperature?

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJR

and do you heat them? Breakfast is a stubborn problem for me! up at 5am so not a lot of time..I've tried leftovers, and we make homemade butternut squash soup which is awesome, so I've done farm sausage in the soup and things like that, but I need a good, long-term solution. This sounds interesting!

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJR

JR, I think as long as you cook your eggs so they're not runny they should last like a week in the fridge.

Heating them is up to you -- if you're okay with cold eggs, then grab one from the fridge and run, and if you like your eggs warmer, zap them in the microwave.

I haven't done the egg muffins in a while but I'm going to try making a batch this week, because I am definitely in a chicken sausage-sized rut right now. (Today I ate mine with Brussels sprouts left over from New Year's Eve, which...meh, why don't I like veggies at breakfast?)

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterStella

Yeah, we usually make a week's worth and they are fine till Friday, so long as you don't mind cold eggs. We usually bake them at around 350-375.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMichael C.

David,

Thanks and... grrr! I was sleeping at that hour, you know, the LFPB and all!

As far Root Hill and Maria and Michele, you are of course right and I love both of them. The problem is not them, it is me!, as I have a weakness of all those pastries and other delicacies there!

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMurat

I'm probably not doing the challenge, but I am perversely attracted to this forum. Please don't kick me out!

I like eggs baked in marinara sauce with some parm on top, which is a nice touch if you're doing dairy. I know it's eggs (AGAIN), but it doesn't seem like it. I bake them while I get ready. I suppose you could add some meat, but I am lazy and will never try that. I don't measure or pay attention to what the oven is on, so I'm just guessing... I'd say I pour ~1 cup of prepared marinara sauce into a small-ish oven-proof dish, crack 3-4 eggs into the sauce, sprinkle it with parm and back on 350-400(??) for 20 (??) minutes. Not sure. Oh, and it's really hot when it comes out, so plan in some cooling time. I have never done Zone, so I don't know how you would need to change the proportions to meet the Zone template.

Egg muffins definitely keep all week. I've been making them for years. But, honestly, sometimes they seem funky at the end of the week and I will just reject them. So if you are picky or weird like me, maybe do two batches. Or maybe, as it gets later in the week, definitely plan on heating them up. Warming them makes them seem less like week-old egg muffins.

January 2, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterKMo

Bone broth!

Some mornings I don't wake hungry at all but I want to put something good in my belly. I have little individual servings in my freezer (freeze the broth in muffin tins) http://www.thealternativedaily.com/4-reasons-bone-broth-breakfast/

I microwave 2 of these 'bone broth muffins' and drink them in a to-go mug to go on the train.

January 3, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterElena Y

@KMo - baked eggs are one of my all time favorite breakfasts! I would add to take the eggs out just before the whites are completely opaque if you like runnier yolks. The eggs will continue to cook while it cools. I like to add prosciutto or sauteed spinach to give it a little more oomph.

January 3, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterJanelle

An easy way to prepare steel cut oats so there isn't any cooking time in the morning is to mix them with yogurt the night before. They soften up to an al dente consistency and you just mix in anything else you want to add in the morning.

January 3, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterAndrew C

Last year I discovered a breakfast option that is almost like banana bread and really easy. Mash up one banana, mix it with one egg, add two tablespoons of coconut flour and a little lemon zest. Cook it in the microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes (I usually cook it in a small glass bowl). Eat with fresh fruit, all fruit jam, nuts, whatever. The consistency takes some getting used to -- it's more of a soufflé than a muffin, but very good.

January 4, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterAdele

Excited to try Adele's suggestion. I definitely need a sweeter vs savory option for breakfast and one that I can make at work if needed. One of my go tos for breakfast is egg whites cooked with a spoonful of salsa verde (like this one I find at the co-op - http://www.abesmarket.com/salsa-xochitl-salsa-asada-verde-medium-15-oz-6-pack.html) for a nice flavorful kick.

January 6, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMare

My normal breakfast, even pre-challenge, is green smoothies. I add fruit (usually pineapple and berries) to ginger, avocado (or coconut butter), spinach and egg white protein. I make a bunch at once and put it in mason jars, so it's really portable - and makes sure I get a ton of raw roughage first thing.

This week, since it has been freezing and I can't bring myself to have a cold smoothie, I've had turkey sausage and then quinoa porridge - that's basically berries and quinoa nuked in the microwave with coconut milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract poured over the top. It's really delicious and satisfying.

January 9, 2014 | Unregistered Commentermckensey

Speaking of breakfast, I've set up a Paleo-friendly price fix brunch a week from Sunday (January 26) with a local restaurant fairly new to the neighborhood and owned by a SBK member...more info here!

http://www.crossfitsouthbrooklyn.com/upcoming-events/012614-lfpbc-rest-day-brunch.html

January 16, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterMare